A PART OF THE PLASTIC USED IN OUR TOPPITS® PRODUCTS WILL BE MADE WITH 70% RECYCLED RESOURCES WITH IMMEDIATE EFFECT – A BIG STEP TOWARDS BECOMING 100% CIRCULAR BY 2025.
Our mission? To become 100% circular. By 2025, we aim to have a product range solely manufactured with 100% recycled or renewable resources and be fully recyclable or compostable. Still with the proven Toppits® quality! We have already taken a massive step in this direction. With immediate effect, products such as our cling film, fruit & vegetable bags and the Zipper® bags are made with 70% recycled resources. This also brings our next goal within reach: to ensure all of our TOPPITS® products complete the cycle of recyclable resources by 2025 and how we want to become part of a circular economy – where everything can be reused and nothing needs to be thrown away.
The 100% circular mission also complements our TOPPITS® sustainability strategy. Our goal is to sustainably optimize all areas of the Toppits® product life cycle. We will do this by observing the principles of the ‘Four Rs’ – Redesign, Reduce, Reuse and Recycle. See here for more information.
THE MASS BALANCE APPROACH
Achieving our 100% circular target is not something we can do by ourselves; we also need to rely on the suppliers of our raw materials. So, we are taking a joint approach known as the mass balance approach. This approach allows us to manufacture plastic and aluminium products from recycled materials without wasting resources. Adapting our products is a continuous process that involves carefully reviewing existing formulas. Sometimes the supply chains and the products themselves have to be redesigned so that all Toppits® products can gradually be manufactured entirely from recycled resources. We are slowly but surely integrating our products into the circular economy by taking this approach.
Du willst mehr über den Massenbilanzansatz erfahren?
THE RECYCLING LOOP WITH TOPPITS®
We use recycled resources to manufacture our products and are constantly looking to ensure that all of our products can be re-integrated into the loop after use. This process is called the recycling loop. It involves turning waste into a usable resource fed directly back into the production cycle. We already take this into account at the product development stage. This means our products can be easily disposed of and subsequently recycled. Our product packaging and website also give detailed information on properly separating and throwing away the various materials.
REUSE INSTEAD OF THROW AWAY
Disposing of products properly is one thing, but it’s so much better when products can be reused, and their life extended as a result. Many of our Toppits® products are already easy to clean, making them perfect for reusing multiple times. Our Zipper® all-purpose bag can even be cleaned in the dishwasher now! Once the products have served their purpose in the kitchen – for example, keeping herbs fresh or freezing leftover food – they can be reused even before they go through the recycling cycle. How? For example, by using our Toppits® Zipper®:
- store your e-reader in it at the beach, keeping it free of sand and water but still easy to navigate from the outside!
- as a travel accessory in your carry-on luggage. Instead of dumping creams, lip balms and makeup loose in your carry-on, keep them organized by stowing them in the Zipper® all-purpose bag.
- as an airbag for tasty snacks between meals. Using a little trick, you can transform the Zipper® all-purpose bag into an air cushion that is great at keeping soft fruit or sandwiches from being crushed in your backpack.
Want to do more to help us close the product loop sustainably? Here’s how you can become active:
- Find out about the regulations on disposing of recyclable materials in your region
- Set up a special garbage can for different types of recyclable material
- Separate products before putting them in the recycling – for example, don’t put several freezer bags inside one other
- Make a note of the dates for your waste pick-up
- Remember to clean recyclable material before you put it in the recycling bin
Together, we can create a more sustainable world. Do you have any questions about recycling, sustainability and the like? You can find the answers in our FAQ.